Thursday, July 26, 2012

“Why not to hire a singer to serve food at your fancy restaurant”.

Yesterday wasn't a typical day in my own foray into the world of “Waitress/ Professional Singer- I've been in a Musical I promise, please hire me again”, but it's definitely worthy of writing down, for the benefit of future “Hospitality Anthropologists” (that's going to be a thing in the future). I call this essay:

            
              “Why not to hire a singer to serve food at your fancy restaurant”.

*It should be noted for anthropological accuracy that only some of these events happened.

Thursday, 26th of July, 2012 I arrived at work and was promptly informed by my manager (somewhat righteously if I don't say so myself) that a food critic would be having lunch at the restaurant today and that I would be charged with giving them the utmost care and attention. I quickly remind myself that I don't work in a brothel and breath a sigh of relief that it simply means I have to serve them food. After which something happened which most traditional Psychologist would probably call a “semi psychotic episode” with a side of “transference”. You see, dear anthropologist of the future (futurepologists), it's been a while since I last had the opportunity to perform, to really earn the respect and adoration of the critics, or anyone really since I'm so popular most of the time.

The pre-show/ Pre-critic lunch conversation with myself went a little like this:

“Holy shit, the crits are in, what are my lines!???? Just be cool...you know what to say: Still or sparkling water?....or maybe I should improv....Sir, would you care for Water with oxygenated bubbles which are waaaaay overpriced, but because of some very clever marketing campaigns in the 90's you now think you can't eat your lamb without adding a little gassy quagmire into your meal...trust me sir, or is it “Sire?” you'll end up farting like a bastard if you choose sparkling...or maybe I should emphasise the 'l' more when I say “still” to make it sound more sexy and appealing....Stilllllllllllllllllee....or maybe I should talk with an American accent the entire meal....or French....or French Canadian just so people don't think I'm being racist. Shittyfuck.
And then his holy grace lord the food critic came in.

“Can I take your coat?”

He smiled and I took his coat. Everything was cool. I just had to be cool. Be yourself and the audience will connect with the true you. This is not the front row of beginners broadway dance class when you're doing pirouettes, just keep your head lady!! No need to run around the restaurant with your t-shirt over your head, like you do in dance class, saying: “I'll give you pirouettes!!!!” while decking all of the other diners/ Beginner Broadway dance class dancers in a rage because you just can't turn left. It's going to be ok. You know your lines, you've done this a million times before.

Act 1. The Amuse Bouche.

I took out the Amuse Bouche. Place it on the table and announced:

“A complimentary Amuse Bouche for you gentlemen...well, actually it's not complimentary, it's free, because you're eating here for free aren't you, because, well you're a food critic...anyway, it's a trout tar tar with seeded mustard, croutons and something rather spicy which I can't remember, ...but on the top it's garnished with “watermelon radish”...they crossed a watermelon and a radish...it's um...(think of a fancy descriptive word)..tasteless...(yesss, good work)”

The food critic looks up at me: “No, a watermelon radish is variety
of radish. You can't cross a watermelon and radish. Those two things can't have sex.”

My response: Oooh, you mean like a duck and bear?

Food critic: Yes. What would you call that? A “dear”

Me: No, a “buck”, rhymes with “fu-la-citaionary-iction” Enjoy your meal.

I see the whole business as a resounding success and piss off to the kitchen to retrieve the next course. Huzzah!

ACT. 2. The Entree`

Me: “Gentlemen critic and his friend, here we have a delightful entree of scallops with pork belly and purple carrot puree.”

Critic: What did the chef use to colour the puree...carrots aren't that purple.

Me: Yeah, he used purple carrot.

Food critic who owned restaurants with Neil Perry: No, the outside of the carrots are purple, but the inside is white.

Me: Maybe he just shaved off the outside bits with a razor.

Food critic that owned restaurants with Neil Perry: Not likely.

Me: I'm just going to leave it here then.
*backs away while maintaining professional eye contact.

Obviously the second Act is a little shaky, but I'm pretty sure we'll get them in the third act.
My manager observes that they are taking photos, we see this is a good sign.

Act 3 the Main Course:

Me: Gentlemen, we have a delectable main course of duck, with many other things also on the plate at the same time as the duck...I noticed you were taking photos of the entree...would you, perhaps, like me to hold the plate...you know, maybe have my hands in the picture, to add a little human interest?

Critic: No, that's not necessary, thank you.

Me: What about if I'm just near it?

Critic: That's very kind, but no thank you.

Critic then proceeds to take photos of the duck and seasonal winter vegetables.....

Me: *slowly lower my face so that my eyeballs are level with the plate...then slowly, subtly turn my face to the side so that there is a perfect symmetry with my profile and the plate of duck food. The critic stops taking photos as I do this, which is fine, he probably got some really good shots already.

Meanwhile back in the kitchen the chefs are curious as to what the critics think.

Chefs: How's it going?

Me: I think they like me.

Chefs: About the food?

Me: *stares at the chef, expressionless.

Act 4, Finale`: Dessert

*Futurepologists, it must be noted that in general I like to reveal my true identity to patrons during the dessert. It might be because they are more drunk by then and I think they might be more inclined to ask me to sit down and join them for a drink, maybe it's my superhero complex... “Yes, I have been serving you all night, but really I'm batman.”

By desert I've really settled into my role. The cast and crew are flying, everyone gets their place in the show as a whole unit. The audience are with me. It's going great, we just have to rap it up and send them home singing the Lion King Medley.

Me: Gentlemen, for dessert we have a crème brulle tart....which involves the best ingredient of all time. Custard.

Critic: Ah, custard itself is not an ingredient.

Me: Yes,...you are right. (Tries to think of what Maeve O'Mara would say on “Food Safari”), you'll probably find this is a really well balanced, intelligent dish...(and then I try and do a bit of an orgasm-y face)

Critic: Let me be the judge of that...

Me: You are right in everything you say. Do you know what else is well balanced?

Critic: *no response.

Me: I am. I like to warm up with a simple Bach cantata, follow it with a stirring, yet upbeat Jazz rendition of Simon and Garfunkles “Are you going to Scarborough Fair” wrapping it up with a Show Boat Medley, just to show my versatility.

Critic: *focuses on food in front of him and returns to conversation with friend.

Me: That's right, I am a singer! I'm not just a waitress people, I'm actually a singer, yes it's true!

Critic: *raises eyebrows, curiously unsmiling. “That's great, good for you”.
I'm a FOOD critic. I've owned 5 of Australia's best restaurants.

Me: Nice one, so what would you give me... uut of five?

Critic: I don't know how to answer that. I'm here to review the food.

I retreat to the kitchen feeling awesome. Finally they know. They know the true me. It's akin to the moment Louis Lane discovers Clark Kent is Superman. As I sit in the kitchen eating left over chips I feel like my foray back into the theatre world (while inside the restaurant world) has been a resounding success. The critics, presumably, are happy, no, rapturous with my performance. I have balanced perfectly between my two identities, but, when it came to crunch time, I put the food first, because in the restaurant world, like in the theatre world, it's about the food/ art, not about the waitress/ performer.

THE END.

25- 50% of this is story is factual.









No comments: